Skip to main content

Ad

DOJ Sues Minnesota Over Affirmative Action Policies, Harmeet Dhillon Calls Program “Unlawful Discrimination”

 

harmeet dhillon
Photo credit: Gage Skidmore/CC BY-SA 2.0, via Flickr


DOJ Sues Minnesota Over Affirmative Action Policies, Harmeet Dhillon Calls Program “Unlawful Discrimination”

Washington, D.C. — The U.S. Department of Justice on Wednesday filed a federal lawsuit against the state of Minnesota, challenging its affirmative action hiring policies and accusing state agencies of engaging in race- and sex-based discrimination.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Minnesota, seeks to dismantle the state’s affirmative action framework, arguing that it violates the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by giving preferential treatment based on race, color, national origin, and sex.

According to the Justice Department, Minnesota’s policies require state agencies to use demographic goals when hiring, which federal officials say unfairly disadvantages applicants who are not classified as part of an “underrepresented group.”

“When Minnesota gives preferences to employees or prospective employees on the basis of race or sex, it necessarily discriminates against others,” the DOJ said in a statement announcing the suit.

Assistant Attorney General Harmeet K. Dhillon, who leads the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division, said the lawsuit represents the federal government’s most direct challenge yet to state-run affirmative action systems following the Supreme Court’s 2023 decision striking down race-based college admissions.

“For far too long, discrimination has been excused when it is labeled ‘affirmative action,’” Dhillon said. “There is no legal exception that permits employers to treat people differently based on race or sex.”

Attorney General Pamela Bondi echoed that position, saying the Trump administration is committed to eliminating diversity, equity, and inclusion policies that influence hiring decisions.

“Hiring based on race or sex is simple discrimination,” Bondi said. “This lawsuit is about bringing Minnesota into compliance with federal civil rights law.”

The Justice Department’s complaint alleges that Minnesota forces hiring managers to undergo additional procedural steps when selecting candidates who do not fall into designated underrepresented categories, effectively pressuring agencies to prioritize demographic outcomes over individual qualifications.

Minnesota officials sharply criticized the federal action. State Attorney General Keith Ellison previously described the DOJ’s investigation into Minnesota’s employment practices as “nonsense,” while Governor Tim Walz has accused the Trump administration of waging a sustained legal campaign against the state.

“This is another attack in what has become a daily battle with the federal government,” Walz said in recent remarks, noting that Minnesota has also filed suit against federal authorities over immigration enforcement operations.

The lawsuit follows a January 2025 executive order from President Donald Trump directing federal agencies to identify and eliminate what the administration calls “discriminatory and illegal” diversity initiatives across government and federally connected institutions.

Legal experts say the Minnesota case could become a landmark test of how far the federal government can go in challenging affirmative action policies at the state level. Bondi certified the case as a matter of “general public importance,” a designation that allows for expedited court review and a potential fast-track to the U.S. Supreme Court.

If successful, the lawsuit could have sweeping implications for state employment programs nationwide, potentially reshaping how public agencies approach hiring, promotion, and workforce diversity.


FAQs

Q1. Why did the DOJ sue the state of Minnesota?
The U.S. Department of Justice sued Minnesota alleging its affirmative action hiring policies use race- and sex-based preferences that violate the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Q2. Who is leading the DOJ case against Minnesota?
The lawsuit is being led by Assistant Attorney General Harmeet K. Dhillon of the DOJ’s Civil Rights Division, with Attorney General Pamela Bondi authorizing the action.

Q3. What does the DOJ claim is illegal about Minnesota’s policies?
The DOJ claims Minnesota pressures agencies to meet demographic hiring goals, forcing managers to treat applicants differently based on race or sex.

Q4. What laws does the DOJ say Minnesota violated?
The lawsuit argues Minnesota’s practices violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits employment discrimination.

Q5. How is this connected to President Trump’s executive order?
The lawsuit follows Trump’s January 2025 executive order directing agencies to eliminate DEI and affirmative action policies that involve discriminatory preferences.

Q6. What has Minnesota’s response been?
Minnesota officials, including Governor Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison, have criticized the lawsuit and accused the Trump administration of politically motivated attacks.

Q7. Why is this case considered significant?
This is expected to be one of the first major federal lawsuits directly targeting a state’s affirmative action hiring system, potentially setting national precedent.

Q8. Could this case reach the Supreme Court?
Yes. The Attorney General certified it as a matter of general public importance, allowing for expedited review and possible direct appeal to the Supreme Court.

Q9. What could happen if the DOJ wins?
Minnesota could be forced to end its affirmative action hiring framework, and other states may face similar legal challenges.

Q10. How could this impact government hiring nationwide?
A ruling for the DOJ could significantly change how state and federal agencies design hiring practices, limiting or ending the use of demographic-based goals.

Comments

Adsterra Ads

Popular posts from this blog

Margo Martin Age, Bio, Boyfriend, Husband, Marriage, Religion, Family, Biography Wiki & More

  Margo Martin With Donald Trump Personal Information Full Name : Margo Martin Age : 28 years old Religion : Christianity Height : 5'5" (approx.) Weight : 55 kg (approx.) Nationality : American Family Background Father : David E. Martin (Plastic Surgeon) Mother : Penny Martin Sister : Markie Martin (34 years old, married to Chris McClain) Professional Career Current Position : Deputy Director of Communications for Save America and 45th President Donald J. Trump. Previous Roles : Served as a press aide during Donald Trump’s time in the White House. Worked as Deputy Director of Communications for Trump's Save America PAC. Political Involvement : Actively supported Trump's 2024 presidential campaign. Known for being a staunch supporter of Trump and frequently posts about him on social media. LATEST: Margo Martin Promoted to White House Special Assistant to the President Trump and Communications Advisor Public Image and Activities Social Media Presence : Instagram: @margom...

How Tall is Margo Martin? Donald Trump’s Aide Height Compared to Trump, Liz Harrington & Barron Trump

  Margo Martin With Donald Trump How Tall is Margo Martin? Donald Trump’s Aide Height Compared to Trump, Liz Harrington & Barron Trump Introduction Margo Martin , a well-known political aide, has gained attention not only for her role as Deputy Director of Communications for Donald Trump’s Save America PAC but also for her strong presence at campaign rallies. Often seen alongside the former president, Martin has been described as a “fearless giant” in terms of her campaign skills. But how tall is Margo Martin, and how does her height compare to Trump, Liz Harrington, and even Barron Trump? Margo Martin Biography Overview Full Name: Margo Martin Date of Birth: July 24, 1995 Age (as of 2025): 30 years Place of Birth: United States Nationality: American Height: 5 ft 5 in (165 cm / 1.65 m) Weight: 61 kg (134 lbs) Eye Color: Black Religion: Christianity Marital Status: Unmarried Net Worth: $10 million (approx) Sister: Markie Mar...

Who Is Kaelan Dorr? Meet Trump's White House Digital Strategy Chief

MEET THE WHITE HOUSE DIGITAL GENIUS   Who Is Kaelan Dorr? The White House Digital Strategist Behind Trump's Viral Online Presence WASHINGTON, D.C. — Conservative commentator Benny Johnson is shining a spotlight on a key figure inside the Trump White House who, according to him, has played a major role in shaping the administration's digital messaging and viral online content. In a recent post on X , Johnson shared a photograph of Kaelan Dorr , writing: "You may not know about Trump's secret weapon in the White House… All the hype edits, memes and rage bait comes from Kaelan Dorr and his genius team. Follow this dude. He's a legend." The post has generated renewed interest in Dorr, who currently serves as Deputy Assistant to the President, Principal Deputy Communications Director, and Head of Digital Strategy in the White House Office of Communications. A Key Figure in White House Digital Communications As Head of Digital Strategy, Dorr is responsible for hel...

Harmeet K. Dhillon Mourns the Loss of Her Beloved Husband Sarvjit Singh Randhawa | Dhillon Law Group USA

  Harmeet K. Dhillon With Her Husband Sarvjit Singh Randhawa Harmeet K. Dhillon, Founder of the Dhillon Law Group and a prominent member of the Republican National Committee (RNC), has shared the heartbreaking news of the passing of her beloved husband, Sarvjit Singh Randhawa. After a long and courageous battle with Parkinson’s disease and cancer, Sarvjit passed away peacefully, surrounded by love, with his son and Harmeet holding his hands. Harmeet described Sarvjit as the love of her life, her soulmate, and her heart. She expressed profound gratitude for the joyous life they shared since the moment they met. “He gave me a joyous life ever since we met, and I will always love him,” she said. Harmeet also extended her heartfelt thanks to the friends and family who supported them during the last two challenging years. Their unwavering kindness and generosity, she said, helped ease Sarvjit's transition. A Life of Remarkable Achievements Sarvjit Singh Randhawa led an extraordinary lif...

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio Begins India Visit, Holds Key Talks With PM Narendra Modi

Marco Rubio Arrived in Kolkata, India U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio Begins India Visit, Holds Key Talks With PM Narendra Modi U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrived in India on May 23, 2026, beginning a four-day diplomatic visit focused on strengthening strategic cooperation between the United States and India. Secretary Rubio and Mrs. Rubio were welcomed in Kolkata by U.S. Ambassador to India Sergio Gor upon their arrival. Rubio’s India tour, scheduled from May 23 to May 26, includes visits to Kolkata, Agra, Jaipur, and New Delhi. During the trip, the Secretary is expected to engage in discussions with senior Indian officials on key issues including energy security, trade expansion, defense cooperation, and emerging technologies. As part of the visit, Secretary Rubio met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi. According to officials, the meeting highlighted the growing strategic importance of the U.S.-India partnership, which both leaders described as rooted ...

Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy Orders Airlines to Certify Merit-Based Pilot Hiring

Sean Duffy Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy Orders Airlines to Certify Merit-Based Pilot Hiring WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean P. Duffy announced Friday that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will require all commercial airlines to formally certify that pilot hiring decisions are based strictly on merit and qualifications. The new directive comes in the form of a mandatory “Operations Specification” (OpSpec), which requires U.S. carriers to affirm compliance with merit-based hiring standards. Airlines that fail to certify adherence could face federal investigation. “When families board their aircraft, they should fly with confidence knowing the pilot behind the controls is the best of the best,” Duffy said in a statement. “The American people don’t care what their pilot looks like or their gender—they just care that they are the most qualified man or woman for the job. Safety drives everything we do.” The Department of Transportation said the action a...

Yale Suspends Professor David Gelernter Pending Review of Communications With Jeffrey Epstein

  Yale University Yale Suspends Professor David Gelernter Pending Review of Communications With Jeffrey Epstein NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Yale University has suspended computer science professor David Gelernter from teaching duties while it reviews his past communications with Jeffrey Epstein, the university confirmed Wednesday. The action follows the recent release of Department of Justice files in late January that included previously undisclosed email correspondence between Gelernter and Epstein. According to documents made public, Gelernter exchanged emails with Epstein that included discussion of a potential software-related project. In one October 2011 email, Gelernter referenced a Yale student while describing a possible recommendation. “I have a perfect editoress in mind: Yale sr, worked at Vogue last summer, runs her own campus mag, art major, completely connected, v small goodlooking blonde,” Gelernter wrote in the message. The email was sent approximately three years after Eps...

Lily Tang Williams Raises Concerns Over High Electricity Bills in Southern New Hampshire

  Lily Tang Williams Electricity Bill Concerns Raised in Southern New Hampshire’s NH-02 District U.S. congressional candidate Lily Tang Williams has raised concerns about rising electricity costs in New Hampshire’s 2nd Congressional District , after a constituent reported receiving an unusually high winter utility bill. According to Williams, a resident from Salem, New Hampshire contacted her about a January electricity bill totaling $769 , which included a $413 delivery charge . The resident said the home is newly built and uses energy-efficient features such as LED lighting and mini-split heating systems. The homeowner reportedly moved into the 2,663-square-foot house in September and expected lower energy costs due to the modern construction and efficiency upgrades. However, the high bill raised questions about electricity pricing and delivery charges in the region. The electricity service is provided by Liberty Utilities , a utility company owned by a Canadian-based parent f...

From Chinese Gifts to Security Concerns: Check Out What Happened Before Trump’s Team Boarded Air Force One

  Trump in China Trump Delegation Discards Chinese Gifts and Devices Before Boarding Air Force One, Sparking Massive Online Reaction A dramatic scene involving the American delegation returning from China is generating intense discussion online after reports claimed that officials accompanying Donald Trump discarded Chinese-issued items, souvenirs, and electronic devices into trash bins near Air Force One before departure. According to accounts circulating from members of the traveling press pool, the disposal process reportedly took place in full public view at the foot of Air Force One and was carried out under strict security protocols overseen by White House security personnel and the Secret Service. The incident quickly went viral after claims emerged that every Chinese-issued phone, commemorative gift, badge, pin, and souvenir provided during the summit was removed from delegation members before boarding the aircraft. Reports also stated that personal electronic devices were ...

Elon Musk Backs Trump’s Threat of Legal Action Against Grammy Host Trevor Noah After Epstein Joke

  Elon Musk Elon Musk Backs Trump’s Threat of Legal Action Against Grammy Host Trevor Noah After Epstein Joke WASHINGTON — Tech entrepreneur Elon Musk publicly voiced support for President Donald Trump after the president threatened legal action against Grammy Awards host Trevor Noah over remarks made during the live broadcast. During the 68th Grammy Awards, Noah congratulated Billie Eilish for winning Song of the Year before making a joke referencing Trump and the late financier Jeffrey Epstein. The comment quickly drew attention online and prompted a sharp response from the president. Noah quipped that the Grammy was something artists want “almost as much as Trump wants Greenland,” before adding a second line referencing Epstein and former President Bill Clinton. The remarks marked one of the few political jokes in what had otherwise been a largely entertainment-focused ceremony. President Trump responded on Truth Social, calling the awards “virtually unwatchable” and criticizing...

Ad